Thursday, March 30, 2006

Swords and Guns

Just as mothers of boys are glad they don't have to deal with Barbie and Libby Lu, mothers of girls are glad we don't have to deal with guns. Neither M nor E has ever asked for a gun, drawn a gun, turned a stick into a gun, made a gun out of legos, turned a baby doll into a gun, or engaged in any other gunliness.

Then the other day we won a raffle. (Finally! Can I tell you how many raffles we have entered and not won? Can I tell you how many raffles one encounters as a responsible school- and activity-involved parent? Can I tell you how many tickets we bought to win this raffle? Well, only three, but still, it's been a lot of raffle tickets over the years.) The raffle was related to the show M was in this weekend, and it had many wonderful components: books and notebooks and dressups and vampire bites and a shield, two swords, and a gun.

All of a sudden, my peaceful book and bead and lego and baby doll-filled home was awash in bloodthirsty yodels, startling gun pops, and the smack of sword upon shield. M pointed the gun at my feet and told me to jump. When I didn't: POP. M and E fenced dramatically, and of course E ended up in tears, because M had gotten a sword and the shield, while E only got a sword, and it wasn't fair. M stuck a sword between her arm and side and announced that she'd stabbed herself.

And you know what? It was fine. In fact, it was quite hilarious, a kind of kids-in-the-candy-store, girls-gone-wild-on-spring-break, parodic excess of sword and gun play. And then, it stopped. The swords and guns went in the box, and we went to the playground.

I don't know what will happen when G's four-year-old brother comes over, but for now I think I'll just continue not to worry about swords and guns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a mother of a boy: somehow swords don't bother me, but guns do. We have toy swords, but not guns.

I think because (a) swordfighting can be an athletic sport [my son would like to take fencing when he's older], but more importantly, (b) I never read in the newspaper about an innocent bystander being killed in a swordfight, or someone taking a sword and going after people they have a grudge against. Swords are historic, not current. They also never caused the same swath of damage.