Friday, March 03, 2006

Should I Go or Should I Not?

I have a semi-major college reunion coming up (20th, if you must).

I have entered the city in which I went to college twice since I graduated: once the following autumn to visit a close friend who was still there, and once a few years later when I was driving down the adjacent freeway, needed a battery, and, knowing where the convenience store was, figured it was as good a place as any to stop.

I'm not really the reuning type.

At my 10th reunion I was giving birth to M 3000 miles away (I wondered why I couldn't reach A all weekend to tell her the news, and when she finally called me back and told me where she'd been, I realized that I hadn't even known it was happening).

I see my good friends from college all the time, or at least email with them, or at least exchange holiday cards.

People say the point of reunions is to see the people who weren't your good friends but whom it's still nice to see.

I figured if I was going to go to any reunion, it would be my 25th, as that seems to be the reunion to go to, if I continue to model my life after K and D, which I fully intend to do (they went to the same college I did 10 years earlier).

A has been harassing me about it for months now: she wants us to go together. B asked me about it last weekend; she's going. I just got an email from C, whom I haven't seen since my wedding, saying that she doesn't want to go unless I go. (Their initials really are A, B, and C.)

The pressure builds.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Hmm, I've got a 25th coming up (next summer) and I'm already starting to feel the same dilemma a bit. And similarly have really not been back other than one quick visit before I got married...long ago. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.