Friday, March 10, 2006

Music for Today

Driving across town this morning, I heard a song on the radio and thought Stephin Merritt. The voice was kind of perky in a Stephin Merritt being perky kind of way, and the chorus went "Don't waste your time on me, you're already the voice inside my head," which seemed like a Stephin Merritt kind of lyric, though of course there really isn't such a thing as a Stephin Merritt kind of lyric.

Yes, to those of you rolling your eyes right about now, I figured out later that it was Blink 182, and in fact I realized it was not Stephin Merritt about halfway into the song when the vocal changed and it did not change to Claudia.

But the song made me thing of our disappeared copy of 69 Love Songs (if anyone out there knows where it disappeared to, it's time to confess) which is just one of the great, well, one of the great collections of love songs. So if the idea of a song called "Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits" and another called "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side" (two particular favorites chez nous) and yet another called "The Death of Ferdinand De Saussure" (don't remember that one, but love the title, especially for a love song) appeal to you, or even if they don't and you're willing to be convinced, you should immediately go out and get 69 Love Songs and play it in honor of this lovely almost-spring day. And if you already have a copy, what are you waiting for?

(Look, there's going to be a new Stephin Merritt album next week, and a book about 69 Love Songs!)

1 comment:

jackie said...

"Reno Dakota" is one of my favorites, also "absolutely cuckoo" and yeah, "the luckiest guy on the LES". that collection was one of my constant soundtracks in grad school, for me and my husband both, when we were falling in love-- good times!