Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My Favorite Republican Candidate

I'd been thinking of writing a post about Mike Huckabee even before Salon proclaimed him the environmentalist Republican. OK, so he's against global warming because God wants him to be, and he supports nuclear power, but still, compare to Republican currently in office and be impressed.

That's not why I liked Mike Huckabee, though.

I like Mike Huckabee because he is a huge supporter of arts in education. I like this for two reasons. First, because I'm a huge supporter of arts in education (again: compare dude in White House). Second, because it shows he has the capacity to think for himself, not just toe some poll-generated party line (do we even need to go there with the comparison?). Which does, in a way, bring us back to the environment.

I'm not going to look up the rest of his record. I don't need to know his positions on abortion, gay marriage, or even the war. It's not like I'll ever vote for him. I just like knowing he's out there.

Edited to add: For some reason I'm seeing lots of Huckabee references today, and I'm getting an inkling that's he's not so hot on evolution, but I am not going to do the legwork, I tell you, I refuse to give up my illusions of his reasonable enlightenment.

No comments: