Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Work

When I was thinking about whether to leave my job in No Longer Red State, I decided that work, for those of us privileged to have choices, can be righteous, interesting, or lucrative, and the ideal job would be all three, but you should have at least two. Of course this formulation leaves out the work-life dimension. My job in No Longer Red State had some theoretically righteous components and was adequately lucrative, but I found it increasingly uninteresting, and the kicker to all this eh-ness was that I (we) did not like where we were living, so we left. I'm quite sure, though, that if the job had been truly righteous, interesting, and lucrative, or firmly two out of three--or if S's job situation had been similarly compelling--we would have overcome our dislike and stayed.

The first job I had in Blue State was lucrative, but neither righteous nor interesting.

The second job I had in Blue State was righteous, but neither interesting nor particularly lucrative.

I think I have come into work that is righteous, interesting, and, if I change some of my plans, sufficiently lucrative. This seems good.

2 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Libby said...

Let me know when you're ready to spill more...sounds good!