Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Beginnings of Posts I Decided Not to Write

On the Question of Whether the Capacity to Clean Is Innate

Obviously the answer is no. If I were Ma, and M and E were Mary and Laura, I would have them well-trained in cleaning, regardless of their instincts. But I am not Ma, and I am of the progressive (read lame) tribe of parents that lets their children do largely what they please, and then gets angry at them for not doing what we want.


Sometimes I Just Hit the Wall

Last week I had coffee with a new acquaintance. When she discovered that my husband is a chef, she said what people always say: "That must be great!" With my usual smile, I proffered my usual reply: "The great parts are really great, but the bad parts are really bad." (The other thing people always say is "Wow, you must eat really well," to which I always reply, "When he's home, but he's never home.")

Last week was February vacation. S was home Tuesday and Wednesday, the first time he's had two days off in a row this year (more specifically, the first time since Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). But on Friday, he left the house at 9:30 in the morning and got home at 12:30--in the morning. Saturday he left around 10 and got home around 11. Sunday he left at 10 and got home just before midnight. Did I mention that it was February vacation?

No comments: