Thursday, February 22, 2007

Notes on Current Events Including, But Not Limited To, Baseball, Best Actresses, and Boots

I'm not one for fetishizing dead bodies, especially when the body in question figures as a metonym for the money (see: James Brown). But I do think that Anna Nicole should be buried in the Bahamas, because one thing that seems true about her is that she loved her son, and I'm sure that he loved her, so it seems only right that she be buried next to somebody who actually loved her. Although I thus agree with Howard K. Stern's position on the matter, I hold to my formerly-expressed opinion that he is scum. In fact, I'd amend that to total scum (see TMZ for details).

I'm against the war, but I'm even more against the contemporary American way of waging war, which involves elites arguing and poor people fighting. So I say kudos to Prince Harry for going to Iraq.

This morning I was thinking that I am not in love with this Red Sox team like I was with last year's. But that, of course, will change, because the nature of being a Red Sox fan is that you can't help falling in love. And you know, Kevin Youkilis hasn't crossed my mind all winter, but just the thought of him makes me happy. David Ortiz reporting to camp? Great day. Nevertheless, I am happy to go on record saying that if we'd paid Johnny Damon 50 million last year, we would not need to pay J.D. Drew 70 million this year. That's all I'm saying.

Did I ever say anything nice about Dan Shaughnessy? Why, yes I did. Well, I take it back. The boys are right.

Just chill: Manny will show, and he'll hit, and he'll catch, and that's all that matters.

S was home last night! We got a sitter! We went to see Notes on a Scandal! Except the projector was broken in that theater, so we saw Volver instead. Which means I'm still up to four on Best Actress nominees. Liked the movie, didn't love it, am really wanting to LOVE a movie, but it hasn't happened in a while. Penelope Cruz, like Kate Winslet, was great, but no Helen Mirren. Nevertheless, she certainly wins Most Beautiful Actress.

Finally, my great achievement of yesterday, besides another Best Actress and coaching my friend on her contract negotiations, was boots. OK, so they are my fifth pair of black boots, but unlike the battered granny boots, the flat ankle boots, the stiletto calf-high boots, and the suede knee-highs, these are slightly-higher-than-calf-yet-lower-than knee! Pointy-toed! Goretex! Waterproof! On sale for half price! Boots. In my boots and my coat, I am just the most put together bad weather professional woman you know.

4 comments:

jackie said...

Those boots are cute. I have yet to acquire black boots, to add to my cowboy boots and brown knee-high leather boots. Did you pay $185 for them? Is that the sale price or regular price? My goal before I start teaching this fall is to have some knee-high black boots.

Phantom Scribbler said...

I also like the boots, but liking more how I can rely on you to supply me with all of my Red Sox news needs.

Lucy said...

You are so like Red Sox Nation. I leave all research to you, and I will agree with everything you say and repeat it as if I know what I am talking about.

All I know is Papi is the man, the smile, the swing, and I love his whole big round face and his sweet trot around the bases as we all breath through our mouths.

Plus Curt Schilling is a free agent next year. I guess Theo figures by then the bloody sock will be getting a bit old.

thatgirl said...

Thank you so much for a new boot-buying site! I had given up on trying to find good brown high-heeled, comfortable boots on sale. Now I need no more boots!

Of course, comfort is yet to be seen, but I'm trusting the reviewers.