Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hair Triumph

This morning I gave E a choice of wearing her hair down, with the front ends pulled back in a barrette (sp?), or in braids. She chose braids.

(I am the unsentimental mother who never grew her daughters' hair because it would be too much of a pain. I love the long locks of other little girls from afar--sort of. I mean, they are often pretty, but either those little girls are much more docile than my children, or those mothers are a lot more patient with combs, brushes, snarls, and screams. But, I am also the empowering mother who lets her daughters do what they want, and E now wants long hair, so long it is, along with snarls and screams. Recently, though, I've instituted braids, which are very cute, and apparently they've taken. Thank goodness.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you! Long hair on small girls is simply asking for trouble. My 3-year-old has recently started agitating for longer hair (hers ranges in various lengths above her shoulders, depending on when we find time to cut it) and we're trying to hold off until she can brush it -- or not -- herself.

Lucy said...

My gal was bald until she was 2 and then craved the long hair she saw around her as she continued to have little blonde wisps. Now she can literally sit on it. She forgot about kids with cancer once it got pretty long (Locks for Love). It's beautiful, soft, and a total hassle. In this case, Mom = Dumbass.