Monday, February 26, 2007

A Few Oscar Notes

Enough already with the beige/blush/gray/silver/white column dress.

Ellen makes me laugh. (When she said "Without Blacks, Jews, and gays, we wouldn't have movies," M asked "Who's Jewish?")

What on earth is Apocalypto?

Interpretive dance? By PILOBOLUS??

And the montages? Why??

I liked her OK in the 80s, but I am so over Melissa Etheridge.

Come on, Al, run already! Save us from this madness! (But maybe lose a little weight and cut back on the make-up?)

Do you think Gwyneth and Nicole planned it that way, or are their stylists totally getting chewed out in the morning?

I wouldn't mind Sherry Lansing's career. Or her dress. Though not her voice.

The one person I know who was up for an Oscar lost.

Does Clint Eastwood really speak Italian?

What's up with the weird J.C. Penney ads?

Helen Mirren rocks the world: expected, but gratifying, and man is she hot. And gracious. (And M likes her because she doesn't try to make herself look 20 years younger.)

Nice speech, Forest.

Why is Jack Nicholson bald? (And M, who woke up and saw the end as well as the beginning, wants to know why Jack Black is short.)

Why do I watch this thing anyway? And am I doing my children a terrible disservice by training them to watch it with me?

Movies to see: Dreamgirls, The Departed, Half Nelson, Pan's Labyrinth. I think I'll skip Apocalypto.

Edited to add: You know, that was totally boring, and this morning I am still grumpy at having lost an entire evening of my life to it, and, yes, I know it's my own damn fault.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading a few recaps, I'm so glad I opted for the hot bath with geranium and ylang ylang oil, then bed...I was snoozing by 9:30 and don't feel like I missed a thing.

postacademic said...

I totally agree about the nude color column dresses - BORING. Four hours of my life...over. I hate that Melissa Etheridge song, but it's pretty great that she won, if only so she could kiss and acknowledge her wife on network TV. Which led me to wonder: is Jodie Foster in the closet?

CecilyK said...

BEWARE PAN'S LABYRINTH.

That is all I have to say. Don't take your kids--it's creepy and nightmarish and disturbing. It's also brilliant and beautiful and amazing, but it really, really, really messed with my head. I still can't think about one of the characters in the movie at all without whimpering. Scary, scary, scary. Wish someone had told me. So now I'm telling you. :)