Wednesday, February 14, 2007

In Which I Try to Be Slightly Intelligent About the War

I am shamefully bad about following the specifics in Iraq. K and I were talking just recently about how embarassed we are to be among the ignorant Americans who simply can't remember the difference between Sunni and Shi'ite, though we do try (I know Saudi Arabia is Sunni, and then I go from there with the notion that those who oppose Saudi Arabia, i.e. Al Quaeda and Iran, are Shi'ite, but I probably should not be saying this in public, as I am in no way certain it is right). At any rate, I skim the headlines, but I'm generally confused.

Nevertheless, I am quite sure that I saw headlines just the other day saying that the intelligence linking Iran to the insurgency* in Iraq is highly problematic, as is the timing of the release of that intelligence. And now I see that the President is saying, emphatically, that Iran is arming the insurgency, and I'm feeling some serious deja vu all over again, and what the hell is wrong with these people?

*Is that the right word? Should I be saying militants? Militia? Something else? Certainly neither freedom fighters nor terrorists, given my general political bent.

No comments: