Friday, March 09, 2007

Gingrich on Clinton

This story just rubs me the wrong way, and I'm trying to think it through. Newt Gingrich has admitted that he was having an affair at the same time as he was leading the charge against Bill Clinton for having an affair with Monica Lewinsky. But, he says, it wasn't a problem, because the issue was that Clinton lied about the affair, not that he had the affair:

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges.

But see, Clinton wouldn't have lied if they weren't going after him about the affair, and there's no law against a president having extra-marital sex with an intern, regardless of whether it is right or wrong, so really the perjury charges were completely implicated in the affair, and this is bullshit.

I'm an agnostic on infidelity. It hasn't been part of my marriage, and I hope it never is (note my phrasing: I wouldn't dare say it never will be), but in earlier relationships, I've been the one who cheated, the one who was cheated on, and the one who someone was cheating with. And I've seen lots of people I like and respect in all three positions as well. It happens. People aren't perfect. Especially when it comes to love and sex. And when it does happen, it's a matter between three people. There are cases where I have a right to be emotionally involved--if my sister's husband cheated on her (only using that as an example because it's so highly unlikely), I would want to claw his eyes out--and I may have an opinion (you know me, of course I'll have an opinion). Honestly, though, I don't think I have any right to judge.

I am so over this hypocritical nitpicking. Perjury is not the issue. Sex is the issue. And people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

No comments: