Monday, March 05, 2007

Hillary

The other day I tried to actually imagine Hillary as president. In doing so, I realized that, so far, I've been thinking about her as a candidate, but candidacies can lead to presidencies, and what would that be like?

The Ohio State-Michigan game gets hit by terrorists. 25,000 Middle Americans die in their arena seats (seriously, I have thought since 9/11 that this would be the best next move for Al Qaeda: forget the predictable targets, forget Washington, ports, New York yet again--go for the heartland, where everyone thinks they're safe). Hillary gets on TV. How do I feel? Not so good. Hillary in Iran face to face with Mossadegh? Ugh. Hillary on the ground after the next hurricane? Blech. Hillary proposing a budget (does the president propose the budget? god, I should know that)? None of it is very palatable.

Then my internalized misogyny meter started flying code red (I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good). Could I really be just like those old white men who can't envision a woman president? Do I think she's not strong enough, not tough enough, not manly enough?

Not so much. I'm pretty down with the idea of Nancy Pelosi as president. Or Barbara Boxer. And I don't think it's just because I like their liberal politics better. I think it's because they are who they are, and we'd know what we were getting.

The fact that I was only thinking of Hillary as a candidate seems important: she's just presenting herself as the candidate, she's not standing up for anything, and that means we have no idea what she'd do as president.

I know none of this is very original. David says it at greater length and depth. Rob gets at it too, from a different angle, without mentioning her by name. But I've decided I really don't want Hillary to be the nominee or the president.

(I've been hearing nasty scuttlebutt about the Edwards campaign, and it has nothing to do with bloggers. I guess I should pay more attention to Obama, but there's a gubernatorial parallel that's got me a little cynical these days. Really, I just have to say, I'm pretty much waiting for Gore. Let's hope Beckett didn't write the screenplay [and I don't mean Melissa Etheridge's kid].)

2 comments:

Libby said...

you know, this is interesting since the piece in this morning's NYT was all about how she is "reintroducing" herself (again!) to the country. The obsession with image may be a necessary evil for someone like HRC, but I think you're right that it makes it hard to imagine her as president.

Lucy said...

She's a hawk and she's disingenuous about it. That's enough bad news for me.