Monday, March 19, 2007

On the Same Theme

The theme being the need to justify one's own choices as the best and/or only choices, rather than simply one's own choices. Case #2 in point being this article by Amanda Foreman, whose Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire I absolutely loved, but whom I am no longer quite so fond of, now that she has told me I am wrong for having only two children (case #1 in point--or should that be case in point #1?--being of course the aforementioned Rebecca Walker).

Why can't we just say "this is me," rather than "this is what everyone should be"? I mean, there are things I think everyone should be, like against the war, but mother of five? more in love with one's biological children? Who am I to say? (Meaning, really, who are you to say?)

1 comment:

Phantom Scribbler said...

I am looking forward to the day I read you saying this in the NYT.