Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Little Women

I heard Pure Prairie League's "Amy" on the radio, and it got stuck in my head, which is fine, because I like "Amy."

"Amy" always makes me think of Kiss and "Beth" which makes me think of the scene in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius where Eggers at his sister Beth's wedding is aghast when she walks down the aisle to "Beth."

Over the weekend we watched the most excellent Katherine-Hepburn-as-Jo Little Women which made me wonder if the reason "Amy" makes me think of "Beth" is Little Women.

That made me think about a Little Women mixtape which would include, besides "Amy" and "Beth," Beth Orton, the Indigo Girls, and the White Stripes. Only I can't come up with a Jo (though I must admit I didn't try too hard--this is all out of my head, no Google). "Visions of Joanna" might be OK, if nothing else comes to mind, though it's obviously a stretch. And I don't want to use Joe Henry or Joe Jackson. Then again, they might be kind of appropriate in a transgender sort of way.

Edited to add: Josie and the Pussycats!

Edited again to add: Josephine Baker! (I came up with Josie and the Pussycats myself, but I must admit I saw a reference to Josephine Baker.)

1 comment:

jackie said...

Okay, two points:

* I have "Amy" in my head now also.

* I would LOVE to have a "Little Women" mix CD!