Sunday, April 16, 2006

Bruce Sings Pete

Because he is like that, S has already downloaded Bruce Springsteen's new album of Pete Seeger songs (I can't link because he uses some file sharing software I know nothing about and don't want to know anything about, but he promises me that he will buy the CD on April 25 when it comes out). We are listening to it as I type. I'm not sure I can express how happy this makes me.

Bruce is fine. I saw him for the first time in high school, then again a few years ago in Red State Capital City. Yes, he's a great performer. Yes, "Born to Run" makes me crank the volume. No, I wouldn't lie down in a puddle for him.

But Pete Seeger. That's another story. I grew up on Pete Seeger. I'm sure I've blogged about his PBS TV show that no one but me remembers. We used to see him play on the river bank. We sang his songs. I actually know the lyrics. Probably 50% of the records I owned as a child were Pete Seeger and Weavers records. Pete Seeger. I just love Pete Seeger.

Right now Bruce is singing "Oh Mary Don't You Weep," which we sang on Thursday night at our seder. Which is on that Arlo Guthrie/Pete Seeger/Ronnie Gilbert/Holly Near record that I just love (and yes I love "Tainted Love" and Luscious Jackson too--eclectic is good). (E is sitting with her ear pressed against the speaker, because this morning we had much discussion of the Egyptians drowning in the Red Sea and how God felt about it--we went with the midrash that he told the Jews not to celebrate because his children had died).

I hope he comes to East Coast Big City when he tours the album this summer (only the European dates have been announced so far). I want to take the kids. In fact, I told S I'd rather see Bruce sing Pete than Madonna (than see Madonna, that is, not see Bruce sing Madonna, though then again, that would be something).

[Cecily, he sings "John Henry."]

5 comments:

jackie said...

I know nothing about Pete Seeger but what I've read from other people. Can you still be my e-friend? Where would I start?

I am, however, going to see Madonna in Philadelphia in July, for the first time ever.

Phantom Scribbler said...

What were the other 50% of the records you owned as a child? Peter Paul and Mary?

Libby said...

I, too, grew up on Pete Seeger, Peter, Paul & Mary, and the Chad Mitchell Trio. Oh, and Odetta. So have you read the New Yorker piece on Pete yet? I'm a little afraid to.

BTW, that sentence about Madonna and Bruce and all, I read as preferring to hear Bruce do Pete than Madonna do Pete, another bizarre thought-experiment...

thatgirl said...

And he sings "Old Dan Tucker"!

mc said...

My parents are headed to one of Bruce's rehearsal shows for this tour tonight; I am ever so jealous. Last night, though, we saw Richard Shindell, a fabulous singer-songwriter, who did a great version of Pete's "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy." Amazing how a song written so long ago could seem so completely of the moment.