Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Today's Music

Driving home from work I heard the Beastie Boys' "Fight For Your Right to Party" and my inner punk-ass hip-hop boy got all happy. The Beastie Boys always make me happy, and I especially love "Girls," because back in the day when I ran a Quaker feminist wilderness summer camp for girls (yes, I really did, even though saying that might just blow my anonymity), we wrote our own version and you should have seen those girls Beastie Boy-ing out.

The other reason the Beastie Boys make me happy is that they make me think of Luscious Jackson, and Luscious Jackson makes me really happy. We saw them at the Fillmore a million years ago and if you can see Luscious Jackson without falling madly in love with Gabby Glaser, then you are deeply committed to your heterosexuality (or your homosexuality, or your monogamy, as the case may be, and if you are a lesbian who can resist Gabby Glaser, well, there is just something wrong with you).

Meanwhile in kid music, rush out (or hit the internet) and be the first on your block to get the new (just out today) Girl Authority CD. I had a moment of doubt myself, seeing all that pink, but they are a bunch of preteen girls singing totally girl-friendly pop ("Hollaback Girl," "Dancing Queen," "Get the Party Started," "I Love Rock N Roll," "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," "We Got the Beat"), and they're on Rounder, for god's sake. How can you go wrong? They've already hit the top of the charts at our house.

4 comments:

postacademic said...

A couple months ago I rebought Paul's Boutique and it made me so damn happy.

thatgirl said...

Becca, STOP. You are so in my head. I used to walk by Rounder records, or run as the case may be, back when I lived u-know-where. And "Girls" was always my favorite song on that album, misogyny be damned. It was FUNNY!

Seriously, though? This album is better than, say, making an iTunes mix of all these songs? Really?

Oh and by the way, I hear that the show not to miss this year is the Go-Go's. A friend of mine saw them a couple weeks ago in TX and it happened to be the 25th (good God) anniversary of the release of Beauty and the Beat, so they played it front-to-back. My fortysomething friend was converted on the spot -- and he'd never been a fan at all.

jackie said...

Jill Cunniff is by far my favorite of the Luscious ladies-- i bought "in search of manny" when it first came out and have seen them three times-- once at a small session for the radio station i was working for at the time.

here's a good story: i got to meet them after the set, and had on a silly t-shirt with a graphic and the words "dancing pandas". so i met jill and kate and gabby, and jill says, "i really like your t-shirt, is that the name of your band?"

and because i suck, i just said, "uh, no. loved your set! you all are awesome!" i still wish i could have said "yes."

Sinda said...

ok, my husband was in a band in college (we live in Austin, who wasn't?) and got to tour with and open for Luscious Jackson one year.

My favorite story is of the girls professing their love for their "Lay Paul" guitars - really Les Paul, but they thought it was a French thing. Always cracked me up.

He had a great time with them, though!