Monday, April 17, 2006

Let's Talk About Katie

I am in no way reassured by this story in People. The denials of Katie's apparent zombie podwoman incubator status are less than convincing. Once a happening young east coast actress with an active social life, she has not seen any of her friends since she met Tom, nor does she have any movies lined up. She lives in a Scientologist fortress and spends her time...um, hanging out with Tom's mom and sisters, watching Tom's kids play soccer, and shopping? What is wrong with this girl?!?! Could it really be money? How much money would be worth this hell, especially if you're already a movie star, albeit young and minor? And the thought that it is love is, truly, even scarier.

[And why is People letting me read its cover story for free online? I must say, I no longer miss People at all. (Backstory for my new readers: I was a loyal subscriber for about ten years, but gave it up because they started running too many diet and plastic surgery cover stories and M had started to read it.) The gossip blogs give me all the photos and information I want, I was never interested in the human interest stuff they pride themselves on, and their stories are, simply, flimsy.]

5 comments:

parodie said...

I can't seem to read the whole story - but the transition is definitely creepy. Poor Kate.

Dawn said...

It makes me sadder if it's love, too. I feel so bad for her already and it makes me think that he's one evil man.

postacademic said...

It's not love -- it's a cult. And he's the evangelist. Only he played that role in Magnolia already.

Anonymous said...

Last night I saw "Thank You for Smoking" (which I highly recommend) and my friend said, "I can't watch Katie Holmes on the screen anymore. She comes with too much baggage and you just think about her, not the role she's playing."

I agreed, and then realized that Tom most likely doesn't want her acting anymore anyway, so it doesn't really matter. How scary and sad.

my mind & welcome to it said...

this situation has me livid.
i guess if will offend some by saying that i feel that most girls in their 20's arent always the smartest cookies in the bag when it comes to the opposite sex. i dont feel shes with him for the money. yes, he has an awful lot of it, but i believe she has her share too. i believe dating "tom cruise", who's also cute, has its own unfortunate allure.
i have felt unease since i learned that katie was encouraged to go without screaming during pregnancy.
when i gave birth, this was an impossibility.