Friday, April 14, 2006

Tired: Sad

I am only just realizing--I should have realized this long ago, but sometimes I am slow--that often when I feel sad, what I am is tired. That is, tiredness manifests itself as droopy eyes and yawns and an inability to cope and, sometimes, too, an ineffable sadness. Which is not to say that there are not many reasons to be sad, but is to say that, when the world seems a place of grim hopelessness and my place in it meaningless, I must remember to consider whether I might be tired, and thus, perhaps, exaggerating, albeit biologically, not in any way wilfully, the scope and depth of the despair I feel.

I wonder then, if one of the many reasons I was so often sad in Red State, was that I was so often tired.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I wonder if that explains why I am so sad in red state...or if it's just that I'm tired OF living in red state.

Dawn said...

I just figured that out myself. If I'm tired (and dearest Madison often makes sure that I am) everything seems unbearable. And I do have to stop and remind myself that I'm probably not sad (given the general goodness of my life) but am really really tired.

jackie said...

fatigue turns into mild, pervasive depression very quickly for me. it's one of the biggest things i've learned about my body since i had my girls.

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, and you know, it is my theory that one reason grown-up women seem to cry a lot more than grown-up men is because they are more likely to be hungry. Sadness comes with being hungry and tired, and seriously there are times when the best remedy (if actual sleep is not an option) is a strong cappucino and a sandwich!

I am glad you blogged your cake-making travails above, I must admit that I was curious....