Thursday, April 06, 2006

Pre-Passover Notes

I never heard of a chocolate seder until a week ago, and now I've heard of three.

I'm not quite sure what I think about new regulations on what's kosher for Passover. I'm quite disdainful of things like Passover pizza and pasta (which E wouldn't touch anyway, as she knows real pasta, and pasta made of potato starch is not real pasta, thank you very much, which is one reason we allow our children to decide when they want to start observing Passover, and though M began last year, I suspect that E will start, oh, maybe when she's about 45) (of course the big reason is not to let E maintain her all-pasta diet, but because we want them to embrace their Jewish heritage , not have it forced on them). Then again (back to food), we decided several years ago that, despite our firmly Ashkenazi heritage, we would embrace Sephardic policies on rice, so who am I to get self-righteous? (Why, I am ME, of course.) [NY Times link from J]

No comments: