Thursday, April 20, 2006

Updates: Plants, Pasta Girl, Babies

Following the advice of two of my most loyal readers, I popped those little primrose-type thingies in the ground and they perked right up. Thanks S and Kelly.

***

We are all ready for tonight's annual Passover-is-over-and-we're-going-out-for-pizza evening, but I have to say that E has done a remarkable job of it. She had a bowl of cereal one night when that's what she really wanted, Oreos one afternoon when we were grabbing a snack at the store (M and I had potato chips), a bowl of afterschool goldfish yesterday, and a pancake and a corn muffin (that she made!) this morning at her school parent breakfast. The first few she asked for, I said they had flour, and she decided she wanted them anyway; she announced yesterday that she was going to have the pancake and corn muffin even though it was Passover. Fine, I said, each time. But there has been no pasta, no bread, not a single waffle, all of her own determination. And there have been lots of avocado, cheese sticks, fruit, raw vegetables, and even some matzah.

***

I really do believe that Katie has been pregnant for nine months and gave birth to Tom's baby on Tuesday. However, IF I were a conspiracy theorist, which I am not, and IF I thought Katie's pregnancy was fake, which I do not, I would be further confirmed in my thoughts by the fact that we do not know what hospital it was, she has supposedly already gone home with nobody seeing her, and there has been no comment from the happy couple. I mean, these are masters of Hollywood publicity seeking, and now they decide to hide it all??

On the other hand, kudos to Gwyneth for just showing the world the baby and getting on with her life. New York called this the Sarah Jessica Parker strategy, and it makes sense to me. To hide the baby is, in effect, to continuously engage the paparazzi and the gossipists, and thus becomes itself a form of publicity seeking. To show the baby (and, really, why hide the baby? babies, apart from their parents, are hardly recognizable, so it's not like you're creating danger of kidnapping or a future of recognition) is to meet the desire and thus cut it off (could go Lacanian, but won't).

4 comments:

Libby said...

there's actually a good bit in Brooke Shields' PPD memoir where she talks about deciding what to wear to leave the hospital, because she knows it's her job to dress up and show off the baby as she leaves the hospital. I suppose one could have an alternate reading of that, but I feel like you do: she knew what she had to do, she did it, and then it was over. I'm really pulling for her not to have PPD this time. Never mind what I hope for Katie and Tom. I'm trying to be nice.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that I know more about Tomkat than you... Didn't you read that Tom had a hospital installed in their house??? Thus, no need to travel. The whole birthing suite was itemized for the press and cost an enormous sum. Oh, and good for you and the primroses- glad they perked up.
Love, S

Anonymous said...

Yay, primroses!

you know how you're not so into the crafty thing? that's me and the celebs...but I always enjoy what you have to say about it.

thatgirl said...

I have only recently joined "Team Pillow." (I stole the name.) I have always believed she was really pregnant, but too many things in the last few days have just not added up to me. My only question at this point would be WHY, KATIE, WHY? Go! The Gift! Pieces of April! And, from what I hear, Thank You For Smoking! Whatever possessed a self-assured free-thinking non-Hollywood woman like yourself to put up such a charade? Is it love? Is it brainwashing? Or is it just a really good role?