Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bad Company, Not

Often, when I get in the car in a bad mood, I turn on Songs You Grew Up With, one of our local classic hits stations, and five times out of six, some song I grew up with comes on and makes me happy. Yesterday when I got in the car in a bad mood, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" was playing, and though I did grow up with it, it did nothing for me. Then I heard that familiar "duh duh DUH duh duh DUH," and felt that surge of I-love-this-song feeling, and turned it up.

Yes, it was Bad Company, "Feel Like Makin' Love," and I drove along, basking in that I-love-this-song feeling. But then I realized that it wasn't Bad Company I loved; it was a cover, an indie cover, an indie medley cover, and I lost that loving-the-song feeling and shifted into a racking-my-brains feeling that wasn't quite as pleasurable, but was still kind of exciting, because I knew that once I remembered, I would be even happier.

Does anybody out there know where this is going?

On the way home (I was picking up M from religious school), I remembered. Two Nice Girls! Two Nice Girls were four dykes from Austin, perhaps most famous for the memorable lines:

I spent my last ten dollars on birth control and beer
Life was so much simpler when I was sober and queer
But the love of a strong hairy man has turned my head I fear
And made me spend my last ten bucks on birth control and beer


They recorded a medley of "Feel Like Makin' Love" and "Love to Love You Baby" (yes, Donna Summers) that is just a great thing.

Right before I got married, in June 1992, I freaked out, as people about to get married tend to do. I ran away to LA--we were living in Berkeley--and went to Disneyland with an old friend from India (oh my god, I just cannot escape Disney), and I came back and went to see Two Nice Girls in San Francisco, I think perhaps at the Great American Music Hall, and decided that if I could still go see dyke bar bands from Texas, I could get married, and then I got married.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you did.

Sinda said...

What's funny, is when I read the earlier part of your post, it was their version I was hearing in my head. Going to UT in the late 80s / early 90s meant that I saw them almost weekly. When I moved to Michigan for a short year, my highlight was seeing them in Ann Arbor, then going to see the Barton Fink movie with Pam afterwards. Even though my crush was on Korn. sigh.

Gretchen is still a staple in the Austin music scene, and her GF has been a prof at UT since I was there.

OK, that's my walk down memory lane - thanks for the nudge!