Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Perhaps the Most Superficial Post Ever

I have this ridiculous Popsugar addiction. I don't even care about the celebrities they track, or know who half of them are (Rachel Bilson?), and there is way too much Paris, but they have lots of pictures, and they do good Kate and Pete, and I swear I'm not going to click on the bookmark, and then I always do. (Get rid of the bookmark? Perish the thought!)

Recently, though, even as I kept clicking at least daily (why? I don't know! I wish I knew, so I could stop! but I don't, so I don't!), I was getting quite disgusted. For one thing, they do way too much product placement, especially posts about stupid parties thrown by stupid companies attended by starlets you've never heard of. For another thing, they are way too sycophantic, going on and on about how cute Katie and Reese are and blah blah blah. I decided they must be getting paid off by publicists. Not that there's anything wrong with that (god knows, I have no illusions about the purity of celebrity gossip), but it makes for boring copy. Then again, I'm not so crazy about the straight nastiness of, say, Dlisted.

But then the craziest thing happened. Popsugar went and hired Molly from Mollygood. Molly is not sweet and sycophantic; she's pretty acidic. The tone shift is obvious--Molly; Popsugar--and being the addict I am, I noticed it right away. It makes for some surreal serial reading.

Does Popsugar know they were veering too close to the saccharine? Are they trying to purchase some street cred? Do they want to hold onto readers like me, who were starting to see through them? Inquiring minds want to know, but not enough to try and find out. Whatever the intention, it's working.

No comments: