Sunday, January 14, 2007

Money and Marriage

The levels on which I cannot relate to this paragraph (from an article in today's Style Section) are so myriad that I cannot even begin to detail them:

Other husbands adopt a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. A 40-year-old money manager at a hedge fund in the New York area said he travels to Atlantic City with buddies a few times a year and drops up to $10,000 on blackjack, which he never discusses with his wife. The man, the sole earner in the family, suspects that his wife regularly pays cash at SoHo boutiques. “She’ll have six pairs of new shoes, which won’t show up on the credit card bill,” he said. “I don’t discuss it with her because we don’t have an affordability issue. It’s the cost of marriage, and auditing my wife doesn’t make sense as long as it’s under control.”

2 comments:

Lucy said...

Wah. I wanna buy shoes with a lotta cash. Do I hafta marry a guy who's a dumbass gambler?

Sinda said...

Freakonomics had a post on their blog positing that perhaps it was really a ploy on the part of the women business owners to launder their cash rather than report it. I like that version better.