Friday, January 12, 2007

Disney Is My Life

Because of all the sickness (we--E and I--were sick last week and the week before), there was much lying in bed which entailed much television which around here means much Disney. And I barely hesitate to sound like a shill for Disney, because Disney has so perfected the art of shilling for itself.

As far as I can tell, and I may not be able to tell very well, because much of the time I was in, at best, a semi-stupor, Disney does not really have ads for products. Rather, Disney has endless ads for Disney. And, at the moment, the vast majority of those ads are promotion for tonight's premiere of Jump In, which is clearly being set up as the next High School Musical*, even to the point of starring High School Musical co-star Corbin Bleu, whom M describes as "the guy with the name like the cooking school." Except this one is about jump rope, not musicals. And, you know what? The promotion is working. We are so staying home tonight and watching that movie.

The other thing I've become something of a semi-expert on is Zack and Cody. M and E often watch The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and laugh uproariously. In this, I believe, they are similar to vast hordes of American children. But you know what? Zack and Cody are pretty funny. They are twins who live with their single mom in a hotel. And they've got a kind of Oscar and Felix thing going. And of course, being kids, and twins, and living in a hotel, and on TV, they get into lots of trouble. Plus Zack, or maybe it's Cody, whichever one is the Felix equivalent, has kind of a gay thing going on (yes, I said this about High School Musical too, and I am quite convinced that Disney is under the thumb of the homosexuals who are taking over this country, and more power to them). Then there are these two girls: London and Maddie (who is in High School Musical--the whole Disney thing is totally crossmarketing incestuous, and let's not even talk about That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana, which is not a joke). I just do not get them at all. London is rich and appears to live at the hotel, and Maddie is poor and appears to work at the hotel, but they appear to have no parents and M and E have never adequately explained their provenance to me, but they are still funny.

And thus I prove, once again, my complete dearth of indie cred, and my subservience to the middlebrow starmaking machine of American popular culture.




*It is very funny to read that old post and see that E was uninterested in High School Musical, because she subsequently spent several months completely obsessed with it, knows it pretty much by heart, and can often be found singing the songs while drawing or playing.

3 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Which reminds me that I was going to ask you if M is still into Girl Authority.

Dawn said...

We're TIVOing Jump In and Noah plans to show it to his (cable-less) friends at his birthday/sleep-over.

I think Z&C are junk on the same order that, say, Silver Spoons was junk, i.e., the kids like it and it's innocuous and I do like the Sharpai incarnation in this one.

Sinda said...

Just to say that my 4 year-old and 6 year-old have never seen High School Musical, yet I spent the night listening to my 6 year-old singing all the songs by heart, again and again. Disney's got it going on.