Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Nominations

BEST PICTURE

“Babel,” “The Departed,” “Letters From Iwo Jima,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “The Queen.”

I've seen the last two, don't think either is best picture worthy. Would like to see Babel and The Departed. Not interested in WWII movies.

BEST ACTOR

Leonardo DiCaprio, “Blood Diamond”; Ryan Gosling, “Half Nelson”; Peter O'Toole, “Venus”; Will Smith, “The Pursuit of Happyness”; Forest Whitaker, “The Last King of Scotland.”

Haven't seen any of them; doubt I will (I saw the preview of Venus and it looked like another cheesy Brit pic, and then I found out it was a Hanif Kureishi film and I was shocked! My beloved Ty Burr gave it a pretty good review, but I'm still not particularly interested).

BEST ACTRESS

Penelope Cruz, “Volver”; Judi Dench, “Notes on a Scandal”; Helen Mirren, “The Queen”; Meryl Streep, “The Devil Wears Prada”; Kate Winslet, “Little Children.”

I saw The Queen and The Devil Wears Prada. Meryl Streep should have been nominated (and won) for best supporting. Helen Mirren is excellent and deserving. I actually want to see all these movies. Are my gender preferences showing?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Alan Arkin, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Jackie Earle Haley, “Little Children”; Djimon Hounsou, “Blood Diamond”; Eddie Murphy, “Dreamgirls”; Mark Wahlberg, “The Departed.”

I'd like to see Dreamgirls. Alan Arkin was pretty funny, though I liked the uncle too.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Adriana Barraza, “Babel”; Cate Blanchett, “Notes on a Scandal”; Abigail Breslin, “Little Miss Sunshine”; Jennifer Hudson, “Dreamgirls”; Rinko Kikuchi, “Babel.”

No real opinions here. I've only seen Little Miss Sunshine. Would like to see the others (surprise).

2 comments:

Libby said...

clearly I'm living under a rock. I saw The Devil Wears Prada with Mariah, and that's it. It's depressing when your 17-year-old daughter has seen more of the nominees than you have. (Or maybe not; I'm still trying to work that out.)

jackie said...

I saw "departed," "dreamgirls," and "devil" and loved them all (for different reasons). If Jennifer Hudson doesn't win, it will be highway robbery. Mark Wahlberg was surprisingly excellent in "the departed," and I hope that my favorite director finally gets his due!