Monday, January 30, 2006

A Loss

In grade school I starred in every play. In ninth grade, I auditioned for the first play and was cast as the maid. I was told this was a huge coup, but when I had to miss soccer for rehearsals in which the director never used me, I gave up theater. In college, I gave it one more shot, auditioning for a student-directed production of Uncommon Women because I loved the play so much. I got a callback, but was not cast. That was it for me and theater, as an actor at least.

I loved Uncommon Women and The Heidi Chronicles and The Sisters Rosenzweig--I saw the original Broadway run of that one, and god it made me laugh. And Wendy Wasserstein--smart, Jewish, feminist, literary, funny--was just a great champion of women and literature and theater and kids. So I am very sad that she died this morning at 55, leaving behind a six-year-old daughter.

2 comments:

postacademic said...

Oh, how terrible and sad. Your blog is becoming a real news source -- I heard it here first.

Tits McGee said...

I directed Uncommon Women in high school. I was so, so sad to hear that Wendy Wasserstein died. She changed American theater, and will be sorely missed.

Found your blog through your comment at Postacademic's blog, and glad I did.