Friday, January 27, 2006

Yet Another

Something terrible happened in Town this week. One teenager is dead and another still in the hospital. I didn't know them, though the boy who died was in one of my friend's classes at the high school. She says they haven't even been trying to teach this week, the whole school is in an uproar of grief.

I can't stop thinking about it, but I can't bear to think about it, it's that terrible.

These tragedies, small and big , just keep coming. E's brother, the family in Richmond, the miners, the seven children and their grandfather, Darfur, Iraq.

I don't know how we just keep on going to the gym, choosing between a mocha and a latte, watching High School Musical for the fourth time in a week. I guess I don't know how we don't, either.

1 comment:

Libby said...

That's exactly how I feel, Becca--how do we go on, and how do we not? I'm sorry to hear you're facing it in this more immediate way as well.