Saturday, January 28, 2006

Why Do I Even Know Who Pete Doherty Is?

Because when we were living in London, the Libertines had just gotten back together--after Doherty was released from jail where he'd been sent for breaking into his bandmate's flat and stealing a bunch of stuff, presumably to sell for heroin--and they were still kind of the next big thing (here's the Libertines' website, which is now all about Dirty Pretty Things and Babyshambles, and here's some history, courtesy of Wikipedia).

Fast forward two years and Pete Doherty gets Kate Moss into trouble, goes in and out of rehab faster than a speeding bullet, and starts getting arrested on a way too regular basis. Like yesterday, when he got arrested TWICE IN ONE DAY.

Apparently his fans think he's being harassed. I would suggest, however, that if he were a poor black man, not a hip white rock star, he would have been locked away long ago. I'd also suggest that the guy clearly has a terrible problem, and somebody should do something (then again, maybe all the somebodies have tried and failed, which also comes back to the question of why the hell he keeps getting released each time he gets arrested). Finally, I'd suggest that nobody be surprised when we read the obituary.

[Of course you could go anti-War On Drugs--which is certainly fine with me--and argue that the only person he's hurting is himself, but that in no way obviates any of the points I just made.]

2 comments:

thatgirl said...

No one's commented here, so I just want to stand up and say I know who you are talking about, only because I read Rolling Stone. Oh, and Vanity Fair. I hear the Libertines are/were quite good. Not sure about Babyshambles.

It cracks me up that you wrote this.

Anonymous said...

The rate of Doherty's mishaps are, as the boffins would say, monotonically increasing.

If we continue the current trend, we find that he will either be dead, or in prison by the end of March, 2006.

That'll teach him!