Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Pancakes Against Drugs

I made Kelly's tuna casserole the other night. Quite a lot of chopping and ingredients and such, but I like casserole-type things, and I'm always looking for dishes to add to our dinner repertoire. I thought it was delicious (and when he got home S liked it too), but M looked at it, sneered, deigned to take one bite, and announced that she would eat it if I wanted her to, but she didn't like it. So I microwaved her some leftover noodles and sulked. (Why is E omitted from this narrative? Because there was never any hope that she would like it, so she was already eating microwaved leftover noodles, as usual.)

At that point I decided to give up. I will continue to make pasta, quesadillas, chilaquiles, lasagna, pad thai (from a box), macaroni and cheese (not from a box), clam chowder (not from a can), rice and beans (from a can) (the beans, that is--I've finally figured out how to make rice), and baked potatoes. Salmon, if I'm feeling adventurous. That's it. No more experimenting.

Oh, and I'll make pancakes.

On Sunday night, I was going out to dinner, so I made them pancakes. Today I had a late lunch (more casserole) and I wasn't hungry, so I told them I'd make them whatever they wanted for dinner. They wanted pancakes. I started to say they'd just had pancakes so they couldn't have them again, but then I thought, what do I care? what's wrong with pancakes? especially if they have fruit with them (to substitute for the vegetable they have every night, because pancakes with vegetable is a bit disgusting)? So I made them pancakes.

And really, as we reminded each other, the most important thing is that we are having dinner together so the children will not grow up and do drugs. Not that they like my cooking.

[Edited to add: I guess it's working.]

4 comments:

Kelly said...

hahahahahah! great title. IF you can find the one food that acts like a drug and makes them want to stay at the table well into the usual drug-taking years, well...then you're really onto something!

Libby said...

Ha! I love this. My kids love tuna casserole, I must say (though I make a way less healthy version). And I'm just about to post about the few things I make that everyone likes.

Tonight, I am going to try the ritzy chicken nuggets from Feast. Why not, right?

parodie said...

If you were feeling adventurous, you could make crepes - and serve them with veggies, cheese, etc. "Crèpes salées" as we call 'em in french. :-) Added bonus: the french parents become less intimidating (maybe?).

This recipe is about right, though I wouldn't bother using a blender (I had cleaning my blender) and when I was young I used two spatulas to turn the crepes (not my fingers - ouch!). And I promise they're easy, once you get the hang of them (the trick: use as little batter as you can, so they are good and thin). One last thing: the first one will _always_ look weird and break, until the heat gets more even etc.

thatgirl said...

I have been trying and trying to make that recipe. Except I've tried it, for reasons that seem to have escaped me by now, with cooked chicken. The first time I screwed it up. The second time -- still with chicken, because I wanted to get it right before I used the tuna -- I screwed it up again, though far less severely. It's very very good. Can't wait to have it with tuna.

I'm holding my breath for my non-picky daughter to decide she only likes scrambled eggs and olives.